Sometimes our collections may not provide all the material you need for your research. For those who require journal articles we can offer the Secure Electronic Delivery Service (SED).
This service accesses the vast collections of the British Library and provides secure, seamless delivery of articles to your desktop.
Who can access the service?
Staff and researchers are allowed up to 10 requests per week.
Students can submit a maximum of 5 requests per week.
Is there a cost for using the service?
Undergraduate & taught post graduate students can have 5 free Inter-library Loans per academic year, after this there is a charge of £3.00 for each request. (The full cost of the request is £12.05, the Library pays the difference.)
The charge is added to your library account & should be paid as soon as possible.
Please note that anyone with fines/charges of £10.00 or above is automatically blocked from using this service.
How do I make a request for a digital copy using Secure Electronic Delivery (SED) ?
- Requests are made by completing the British Library Request form on the Library Catalogue . Under Format select digital to request electronic delivery.
- Once we have verified your request it will be sent to the British Library, they will scan the article requested and create a PDF.
- A link to this document will be be emailed to you from the British Library . The sender will be email@example.com so please make sure this sender is not blocked or sent to your junk mail folder.
- Requests are normally are delivered within 7 working days, but are often much quicker. The progress of your ILL requests by signing into My Account on the Library Catalogue
DRM Lite is an electronic delivery method that allows British Library On Demand to supply secure, encrypted documents, ensure that the item is used only as permitted, and protect the rights of the copyright holder.
To receive your articles you will need Adobe Reader version 10 or above and a British Library On Demand login and password. If your web browser has a built in pdf viewer then you will need to temporarily disable this to allow the document to open directly into Adobe Reader.
To register your username and password go to the British Library On Demand registration page.
Please look at DRM Lite: FAQs.
Access and Printing
- Once you receive the request from the British Library, the electronic copy will be available to download from the server at the British Library for 14 days, after which the file will be deleted.
- You are permitted to make only one paper copy from the electronic copy.
- You must print a copy of the article when you first download it.
If you have any problems or require further information, please contact the Inter-library Loans Service
tel: 01443 482638