External Membership of the Library

Members of the public may use the USW Libraries for reference purposes. Borrowing privileges are also available to external users at a reasonable charge.

Electronic databases are not available for use by external members due to licence restrictions.

There are three categories of external membership.

Individual: Current charge of £40 per year or a reduced charge of £25 for ex-students and staff. To obtain the reduced rate, a letter is required from the University’s Alumni Relations and Development Office, email alumni@southwales.ac.uk to request. This letter will provide confirmation of former status. Individual membership provides one ticket allowing 6 loans.

Note: There is no external membership loan entitlement at Merthyr Tydfil College Library.

Corporate: Current charge of £100 per year for three tickets, each allowing 6 loans.

Schools: Current charge of £50 per year for two tickets, each allowing 6 loans.

Anyone wishing to take out external membership must complete this application form: English | Welsh and provide proof of identity. Paper copies of this form are also available in all our libraries.

This form must be completed and returned to the Library with appropriate payment. Your Library Card will be available for collection on the following working day.

The charge for obtaining items on inter-library loan is £9.30 per item for books and £6.15 for photocopies.

All external charges subject to VAT
These are indicative prices, which may need to vary during the course of the year. Prices will be checked regularly against competitors’ prices and revised accordingly.

Staff and Students of Other Universities

Any student or member of staff from another institution having University status, may enter the building during opening hours on any day during term or vacation. It will be possible to use the Library for reference purposes, but borrowing or use of electronic resources is not permitted.

Cooperative schemes however, are available which may enable borrowing from our collections. Please refer to your own institution for further information about these schemes.